Vacation house Check Request
The Grapevine Police Department provides vacation house checks for residents who are living in single family homes while they are on vacation or out of town for an extended period of time. Generally, the service is provided by one of our Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) for a maximum of 14 days. While you're away, the VIPS walk the exterior of the premises but do not enter the backyard. The volunteer will check the windows and doors to ensure the residence is secure. If anything unusual is observed, a police officer will be dispatched to investigate further.
Our goal is to conduct a house check daily, but the frequency at which this will be done depends on the availability of the VIPS. Priority and emergency calls must take precedence. It is important to remember that the greatest "crime fighter" in town is you. By taking a few preventative measures, you can add to your own security force.
- Make sure all your doors, windows, and entryways have locks that are functional and are in the locked position.
- Unplug or turn down the volume on your telephone.
- Have someone you trust pick up your daily newspapers and mail or call and have those services stopped until your return.
- Let your trusted neighbors know the dates you will be gone and ask them to report any suspicious activities occurring at your residence to the police.
- Leave lights on in several rooms so the house appears occupied.
- If you have an operational home security system, utilize it.
- If there is any damage to the home or remodeling being done, please note this on the form.
The City of Grapevine, by and through its Police Department, does not guarantee by extending this courtesy that your residence will not be damaged, burglarized, or otherwise receive harm in your absence and will therefore not accept any liability for your participation in the program.
To begin the vacation house check program, please complete application.
To make a change to an existing request in the event you returned early or need to extend your stay please click here.
Note: If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Police Department at 817.410.8127.